Sunday, August 12, 2007

 

Champion Shuffler

I don't blog much on this blog - especially compared to the chess blog I run and help write. Or rather I should say, compared to the award winning chess blog I run and help write. But now I've fixed my camera, that could all change. Could...

If it does, you can expect stuff like this. How I went to the Great British Beer Festival on Saturday, and discovered a game called Shuffleboard that I actually seem to have some talent for - unlike all of the other games in the universe. Luckily Shuffleboard is a compelling spectacle that demands acts of extreme sportsmanship from its athletes. (Meaning that yes, I am an athlete now.) A sport for the 2012 Olympics? Maybe. They're going to be held just up the road from me, and I'll be ready, just in case.

But before that, what is Shuffleboard? Here's my friend Antony having a go, so you can get the idea before I dazzle you with my own accomplishment:

You have a pile of round wooden things: I assume they are called 'shuffles', since it's self-explanatory which part of the sports equipment the 'board' refers to. You have to get these shuffles through the slots in the bridge. For that you get points - and points win prizes.

And here's how Antony did:

Pretty good. I decided to follow Antony's strategy of drinking a lot, but also add a few novel tactics of my own. The first can be seen from this picture of me getting ready to go:
The unused pile of shuffles are stacked off the board, behind the beer glasses, so not in the way: tactic one. I also decided to go for top-spin, and aiming them at the slits hard. Top-spin proved impossible, but nonetheless I did alright, eh:

Winner!

And guess what I won? A million pounds? A yacht? Eternal life? Even better: The Big Book of Beer, which is just stuffed full of brilliant tips on how to get drunk, a central part of my Shuffleboard training plan in the years to come. Next, the crowd carried me off on their shoulders...

I don't know. Is the camera good or bad news for this blog?




Comments:
good lord. you're becoming a manly man! :O

if we next get a picture of you in a speedo, our friendship is over. i hope you know that.
 
lol

Along with my dignity.
 
oh no, we'll accept pictures of youe "dignity"

*bolts down a hole*
 
It's never been called that before.
 
which is a dang blasted crying shame!
 
i heart the pictures. and...i am alive.
 
I've been wondering so much where you are and how you are my dear kim!
 
i will email you in a bit. :)
 
I forgot you were going to post those pics on your blog - lol!

Antony
 
Where do I play it, where???
 
Beer festivals, rural pubs, & various other classy joints!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?