Monday, March 06, 2006

 

Quote of the day

A coincidence? I have been having dreams about torture, pick up Milosz's superb book of lectures "The Witness of Poetry" - a book I've read several times before - flick through and instantly find this passage:
That voice of protest we hear in ourselves when we learn of places where human beings torture other human beings resounds in a void and has no justification other than itself.

Milosz, who in some of his best work recorded a kindly protest, writes this in the context of a chapter called: "The Lesson of Biology." The biology in question is the bastardized Darwinism that informed both Nietzche's idea of man transcending himself and becoming Superman, and also Marx's idea of historical (r)evolution. Then next, their even cruder social derivatives in the main two forms of twentieth century totalitarianism, fascist and communist. The so-called lessons of this biology are: that we are nothing but a cipher for the success of our genes or species or what-not, that not only are we not the centre of the universe or solar system, there is no God who made us central or special, in any way whatsoever, that there is no human meaning and the true patterns of our existence are measured only over thousands of centuries, in the relative success of species against other species. It is, in other words, a coldly deterministic, cruely dehumanizing lesson, defying our senses, spirituality, conscience, love, and capactiy for wonder, at their very core, the soul. The soul, a word James Joyce never surrendered.

Now there may be some of you who see in this coincidence my subconscious at play, at least if your comments to the post below this one are anything to go by: the dreams have been prompting me to reread this chapter, which I have indeed done so again. There will be another reason for that, guessable perhaps. If so, probably you agree with the quote above, even if you don't realise it, that there is nothing real, nothing worth telling of, in the content of these dreams. That is, nothing in them outside of the psychological battles in my head, which in their turn can be logically approached by one theory or another - this time, no doubt, one derived from Freud. Such is the automatic response.

On the other hand, some of you may instead prefer this, quote of the day, from the end of that chapter, a note of hope - a different kind of hope, I mean:

there are signs... that technological [and thus, demystified] civilization may begin to see reality as a labyrinth of mirrors, no less magical than the labyrinth seen by alchemists and poets. That would be a victory for William Blake and his "Divine Arts of Imagination" - but also for the child in the poet, a child too long trained by adults.

Comments:
my head is fuzzy - but are we saying that we need to concentrate on our individual realities rather than global ones? if so then, yes i tend to agree. but there is a place for global health also. just as we try to save species on an indivdual basis (nuts and bolts of the animal) but do so in a broader context of ecology - habitat-pressures from external sources, etc. to me numbers do not equal success. it is the well-being of the 'organism' that measures it's success. but my head is fuzzy (really)so maybe i have missed your point...
 
What a load of sterile, smug twattle.

Reality is an ongoing, self-defining comprehension.

And you can quote ME on that.
 
May your head defuzz soon Michelle.

And gee wizz, thanks a bunch, indigobusiness!
 
Actually, your point is interesting --and I particularly like the way you summed it up-- but the opening struck a ringing dischord in me. What with poetic visions of fuzzy-headed capegirls dancing in my peripheral mind...it's hard to know what, if anything, is real.
 
Interestingly enough, the Milosz chapter I quote from discusses that too - in terms of Nietzchean nihilism, where no belief might be held of as true, where we acknowledge that there is so much reality that it escapes language. (Although this is not Milosz's conclusion.) It's worth reading.
 
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
 
If language could cage reality, we'd all be in even more trouble.
 
Nietzsche was probably onto something with this particular contention. Transcendant wisdom IS beyond idea, yet the path is cobbled with ideas.

Nothing new under the sun, especially including grandiose elaborations on self-important notions of evolving sophistication.
 
Does spelling count in an unreal world?

I ALWAYS misspell transcendent.

Well...almost always.
 
i personally like the idea of living life rather than theorising about it. personal 'reality' is based largely on our thoughts and our perceptions of events. in short our lives reflect how we see ourselves and what we feel we deserve. arrogance is not mastery.
 
Arrogance is surely not mastery, neither is self-indulgence.

Self-skewering humor might be a part of it?

Tibetan Buddhism says one must tirelessly struggle upstream, toward the clear pool of lucid being, or wind up on the mudflats of delusion.

Something like that.

I think they are on target with these sorts of metaphors. Point being, it takes work to be fully realized...and that is the purpose of being.
 
i think everybody has a different purpose for being really. and that is their right, don't you agree?
 
that's it for me. i'll e-mail you soon as i can, tom.
 
There are rights, and there are duties, I try not to rationalize or judge wisdom traditions. Its hard enough to tap their meaning.

A right is an option.

Purpose is a universal truth.

But, I could be wrong. I was wrong to go down this road, it seems. How it happened, I'm not quite sure. Early on, I was just poking fun at myself, and somehow I wound up here. Wasn't intending to derail things. I'll bow out, too.
 
Come come, no-one has died!

(Have they?)

I wouldn't look for any lessons or meanings in my posts beyond what I say directly, you know. But if I were to look for some moral from these comments, it'd be: Play nice!

(Chess, anyone?)
 
There's a lesson in everything.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?