Wednesday, February 22, 2006

 

The Winners

The man sat next to me - haphazardly dressed in a badly torn and badly patterned jumper, a Star Trek t-shirt partially visible beneath it, tucked into his ill-fitting tracksuit bottoms - is gesturing wildly. Applause, thumbs up, even a little bow - which vaguely resembles praying, too. It's the first round of the Portsmouth Chess Congress, and his position is getting torn apart by his sharp, composed opponent. A few moves ago, he was rubbing at his stubble, coughing these little, irritating coughs, clamping his balding head in his pudgy fingers. But now he's accepted his fate, as if a crude bull thankfully put out of his misery by the swift, sophisticated sword of a master matador.

This is why I quit chess tournaments, I remind myself. The ludicrous myths that circulate in and out of them, as if even at our mediocre level, a moment of magic was only a few moves away. Twinned with that, the strange shame, where fears of looking stupid make grown-men perform such rituals of understanding, and act complicitly in their own downfall. Still, I think, at least it's cold, at least it's February - so the big airy hall where we play contains nothing like the smell of the sweaty, summer events. Even if the guy two boards along sat opposite clearly has a passion for curry far greater than his passion for cleanliness.

Almost five hours later, and I've finally lost my game. It's 11.15, and it's Friday night, and the dark city has been circulating away crazily in pubs, clubs and parties, for all that it's worth, for hours and hours. I wait twenty minutes for a cab and the list of grim reasons for quitting tournament chess seems to grow. How did I forget? What I am doing here?

A few rounds later on and I face the same player - same jumper - I was sat next to on the Friday night. A change of t-shirt though. He passes me a note: "I'm deaf", it reads, and I feel like an idiot for not realising that before. It even says next to his name on the tournament pairings. Hence the coughing, hence the signalling. And by this time I've started winning, and telling myself that Of course, I love chess tournaments, I must do more of this! Why did I leave it so long?

Half-way through the game and I'm taking control of the position; my opponent's head looks like it'll be locked in his hands for quite a while, so I take a walk through the other sections. Down in the Minor section there are a few girls in their late-teens or perhaps early twenties; their new cleavages, nicely displayed in the latest high-street tops, must be torture for the fat, old, lop-sided men sat dribbling opposite them. Why weren't their girls like that around when I was a junior? I thought. But of course there were. Emelia, Shelly, Lynsey - I can even recall some names, and that I was always too red-faced when talking to them. And now - there in my shabby jumper, unshaven and putting on a belly, close to thirty - now I'm just another one of the weirdo's who they ignore in tournaments. Just another reason they'll have to quit the scene when an adult life of family and work takes their time over, and, in their new tiredness, they begin to look for excuses to grow-up and get-wise and get away.

So what am I doing here? Maybe I belong here, I think, as my deaf opponent resigns. We conduct a post-mortem on the game after in improvised sign-language, and I realise I like the guy.

When I find out my next opponent, though, I'm terrified. A positive mood is nowhere, nowhere at all, because, well, just how old is he? Maybe double figures, maybe eight, even six... No, no-one six years old could have won in such style as he did, in the previous round against such an experienced, strong opponent. I shake his tiny hand, and look across at those big ears, little round glasses, that fresh, pale face and pre-pubescent hair-cut - whatever age he is, it's the age where a calculated personal style doesn't matter, doesn't register. Everyone in the universe must like him, everyone, at least for another year, maybe two.

Terrified: lose, and I'm a laughing stock. Win, and I'm cruel. Offer an early draw, and I'm patronising and anti-competitive. What to play for? A win, I decide, and my method is cruel: I cut down any active, attacking possibilities for him, frustrate his youthful, optimistic impulses. Soon, he blunders away a pawn, soon his pieces are getting boxed in, another pawn is vulnerable, and my pieces are poised for a slow invasion. He grows despondant as I gradually poison him. He looks down onto his scorepad, there on his little lap, scribbles a black shape on the back of it. Is that water across his eyes? He fidgets glumly; maybe just tired. I am too, but this is no draw. It's mate, soon.

We shake hands after. He tells me he is ten. Ten. And at around the playing standard I was at 14 or 15, I estimate. A prodigy? A future Grandmaster? A future World Champion? Who knows, but probably not. He clearly loves to attack, push the pieces out into the board, as proud as an army, swoop them down the diaganols like hawks or missiles, and along the ranks like unstoppable tanks, to get at the cornered enemy king - but not much else.

So here he is amongst us strange men, at almost 11pm on a Saturday night, in an alien, cold unfriendly city. Here he is, an innocent and pleasant child, an optimistic and fluent attacker, and I ask myself a question that's yet, I imagine, to even remotely cross his mind: where will you be in another ten years? Or twenty? Still here, after the bored girls have all departed, and when - unlike the stomatch - the talent has stopped growing? Still vainly here searching for that one great game, telling himself how it might have been? And like me, unkindly competitive? Or gesturing as if in the company of genius - while watching, with a speechless sadness, the next generation file in?

Comments:
i really loved reading this. welcome to almost 30. i hear it gets better the more it gets worse.
 
Thanks Michelle. Not for the almost 30 part, though :)
 
it's a pleasure. you have a wonderful ability to describe people and situations, which provides more than a voyeuristic sense of connection. it is one of the aspects of your writing which i most enjoy.

there is so much to look forward to as we get older...feeding tubes, em-ox, zippy chrome and black wheelchairs...being able to communicate by neural implants..
 
... baths from stereotypical nurses ...
 
The baths are the worst. Wayyyyy overrated.

It's all in the getting dirty, regardless of age or circumstance.
 
there will be male nurses too, right? it IS all in the getting dirty i think.
 
No male nurses for me, however.

I don't over-rate baths. I do not exaggerate when I say baths are genuinely one of the two greatest inventions of civilisation. The other being the sofa.
 
Baths are no more an invention than yawning. Both great pleasures. But, still, the getting dirty is only surpassed by the exceptional nurse, even on a sofa.
 
You know, I'm pretty sure yawning exists in *all* human societies from time immemorial. But baths, I imagine, were created some place - probably quite often in different circustances.
 
Puddles, etc, exist/existed in *all* human societies, as well...and are eminently irresistible. Point being, elaborations on a theme don't cut much ice in the root scheme. Besides, a bath is an act, not a thing.

I like to yawn in the bath.
 
The word bath refers to both an action and a thing: 'I take a bath in the bath'. I think the sense I am referring to is pretty clear.

And since when does elaboration on a theme rule out an act of invention? In this sense, aeroplanes aren't an invention, because they just elaborate what birds do! Ie, fly. Or the lightbulb - just a copy cat for the sun, for mirrors, for glow-worms.
 
i like my boobies. i think they're a great invention. does that count?
 
In the context of stereotypical nurses, it is an act. A despicably dirty act, best done in a puddle.

Capegirl- I like your boobies, too...I think. I count two, but neither, to my knowledge, is an invention.
 
Hi Jonathan!

Which raises the question - who are the most annoying groups of people in general? I think the most annoying chess players are ... actually just the ones who beat me. The little kid was socially equipped enough for chess; a bit fidgetty perhaps, but then I fidget too.

Anyway after that bad, long loss in the first round I rallied a bit, ending with 4/6 - 3 wins, 2 draws - and joint third place. 1st and 2nd place were also shared which seriously diluted the prize fund: I took home in the end all of £5! Grade for the tournament comes out around 151 - down on my league performance.
 
I'm annoyed by the lot of you.
 
Perhaps I ought do a poll, something like:

Who annoys you the most?

- chess players
- infant chess players
- deaf infant chess players
- deaf infant chess player musicians
- the lot of us
- winners
- other (please specify)
 
Musicians? I meant, magicians!
 
Good Lord, no! Oyster cards are alright, but I didn't do too badly with the previous travel card. And those Sainsbury's self-service things scare me. I spent a torturous summer on a check-out at a supermarket - now I enjoy seeing others suffer as I once did.

Bath versus Sofa is an interesting question. Rather than use a poll, I think I'll score them out of ten in various categories to work out which is the greatest, scientifically. I encourage everyone to do the same, with their favourite inventions, too. We're getting at the truth here people.

* * * Bath * * *

1. Time. You can't spend too long in a bath without getting cold, or shrivelled, or both. On the other hand, I did once manage five hours. 5/10.

2. Sleep. You can't sleep in a bath without risking a comfortable death, via drowning. Could be worse. 5/10.

3. Cleaning. I've never had any complaints, after a bath. But - they do often need to be backed up with a shower, especially when conditionning one's hair. 9/10.

4. Drinking, eating, etc. I've tried it and can tell you, this does not work, not one bit. 0/10.

5. Reading. Excellent, although organising a good light source is a challenge. Beware: don't use torches for this, and then drop them in the water. 8/10.

6. Watching DVDs, etc. I'm sure there'll be waterproof DVD, etc players available soon, so 5/10 seems fair.

7. Cost. Continuing water and heating payments add up, but are managable. 7/10.

* * * Sofa * * *

1. Time. Where the sofa clearly wins. With slaves/wives, one would never have to leave. 10/10.

2. Sleep. Seductive, but a tad dangerous, due to back-ache - or if in a party, hilarious shaved eyebrows. No bed, behind a door with a lock. 6/10.

3. Cleaning. Not quite the opposite of baths here (that would be exercise) but not exactly great either. 1/10.

4. Drinking, eating, etc. Very, very good indoor option. But hard to organise for countryside picnics. Slaves required again. 8/10.

5. Reading. Really excellent, but not quite in the arm-chair category. 8/10.

6. Watching DVDs, etc. Unbeatable, etc. 10/10.

7. Cost. A big one-off payment, and it devalues, and it wears, and it's a great hassle when moving, especially when the van man has to go back for it because it's too big, and stops off for cigarettes, uses your toilet, and charges you an extra £50 for his time. 1/10.

Scores:

Yes, it's a TIE! Out of seventy, that adds up to one hundred each, because they're both just so great.
 
Robot love-

in bath 10/10
on sofa 10/10

Also a tie.
 
Then it must be true.
 
a most annoying list:

clowns
rich girls on ponies
4 year old math whizz kids
political spin doctors
greenpeace

- i have issues

greatest modern invention: jacuzzis - way better than baths. i don't like cleaning baths or showers or shopping for that matter. i love pruning the plants in my garden. tom is the most annoying chess player i know ;)
 
My bath is clean, but my path has a ring around it.
 
& I thought I was strange ;)

Four year old maths kids? I feel sorry for them. Can you imagine them ever dancing, for instance?

Jacuzzi's are worse than baths because (1) you're meant to share them (2) you're meant to sit in them.

(Unlike sofa's, incidentally.)
 
Four year old maths kid, 10 years later.
 
I never knew you were a math prodigy, Indigo.

Do both, Jonathan: litter my blog, and start your own!
 
That isn't me, I thought it might've been you?

I'm no math kid, but one helluva dancer.
 
indigo: hysterical pic!

tom, i thought the sharing of a jacuzzi with someone you love was the best part? not a horrid lecherous mafioso but, you know, someone who'll let you sit on their lap.

l like hammocks.

i also rate electricity quite highly at present.
 
there's still time, jonathan
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?