Saturday, February 25, 2006

 

Pounds of Flesh

The silver hours. Behind the sky's blankets of grey, dawn's rose-red fingers hide, frail and ancient. In the stone court-yard, a man, dressed only in a battered old jacket, lies motionless on the ground. Then his torturer kicks him around a bit, muttering only that:

If I cut you like a pig,
Do you not bleed like a pig?
Are you not, therefore, a pig?


He will cut him again, he has cut him before. An Auschwitz Jew, a Guantanamo detainee, a Middle East kidnap victim, a Nazi junior, a psychopathic extremist, a secret service operative, a would-be-bomber, a Turk and Armenian, a Roman and Christian, a tribesman and caveman, or a pair of Hollywood stereotypes - who are these two figures that haunt my dreams this morning, that haunt from the birth of time the whole of the human world?

Comments:
I suspect it might be the Walking Man...just he alone...he and his shadow.

But then, I'm still trying to work out what's going on when I'm not in a trance.
 
fear and its cousin...power. and the buffers we create between us and the cold, dark night?
 
Interesting answers!!

I think both 'psychodynamic' - in the sense of, the two creatures represent sides of me?! Who is this figure, the Walking Man, though?
 
Walking Man
 
dreamwork practitioners will tell us that anybody and everybody in a dream is symbolic of an aspect of self. so even those we know that we dream about reflect some part of who we are. with the exception perhaps of premonitions that appear as dreams. perhaps some part of yourself is trying to beat down another part of yourself because you hold prejudicial feelings about it? but remember any interpretation we make here is probably about ourselves - not you :)
 
Capegirl is right, I've long been prejudicial, particularly regarding myself.
 
You cut me like a pig,
You bleed like a dog.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?